I had another phenomenal 2-day trip. This time I got to bring some of my friends and family on their first canyoneering trip and they had a blast. Christopher is a wonderful guide and teacher. I’ve learned so much from him on my trips with Get in the Wild. Exploring the canyons with him is one of my favorite Utah experiences, and I’ve learned so much about canyoneering from him. One of our days, Shane guided us. He did a wonderful job too teaching people through their first canyon and demonstrating safe desert hiking practices. I highly recommend traveling with Get in the Wild.
Trade in the National Park crowds for unmatched solitude
Explore the desert and learn about the unique ecosystem
Experienced and professional guides
If you’re looking to get off-the-beaten path and experience some wilderness, join us for a hiking adventure. Hiking route options range from a casual stroll to a challenging slot canyon and everything in-between. Most of our hikes visit seldom seen areas that are protected for solitude and possess few to no maintained trails. Your guide will share their intimate knowledge of the area’s rich history and natural wonders while you marvel at the unique landscape.
$149 per person | 8 hours | Snacks included
$149 per person*
10% discount for groups of 8 or more
*Minimum day rate of $298 for solo travelers if not joining another group
March through November
Contact us for availability from December through February
Full day (8 hours)
If you have more than 10 people in your group, contact us about doing a private tour.
No previous experience required
This trip is suitable for beginners of all ages who enjoy an active, adventurous, and educational outdoor experience. Adult participants should be able to carry a pack weighing 10-20 pounds.
Options available from 1-3
- Hiking: Easy hiking on well maintained trails
- Canyoneering: Easy hiking and scrambling using hands and feet for balance and support A rope may be used for handlines, belays, rappels and lowering packs
- Distances: Hike up to 2 miles
- Surfaces: Easy terrain
- Elevation Change: Little to none. Short sections of uphill travel.
- Hiking: Easy to moderate hiking
- Canyoneering: Easy to moderate hiking and scrambling using hands and feet for balance and support. A rope may be used for handlines, belays, rappels and lowering packs.
- Distances: Hike up to 3 miles
- Surfaces: Flat or rolling terrain with some steep ascents/descents and uneven trails
- Elevation Change: Up to 600 ft/day
- Hiking: Moderate, off-trail hiking on rugged trails
- Canyoneering: Moderate, sustained, climbing and scrambling using hands and feet. A rope is required for handlines, belays, rappels and lowering packs
- Distances: Hike up to 6 miles
- Surfaces: Rolling or mountainous terrain with some steep ascents/descents and uneven trails
- Elevation Change: Up to 1200 ft/day
- Hiking: Difficult, off-trail hiking on rugged, technical terrain
- Canyoneering: Difficult, sustained, climbing and scrambling using hands and feet. A rope is required for handlines, belays, rappels and lowering packs.
- Distances: Hike up to 10 miles
- Surfaces: Rugged, exposed terrain with steep ascents/descents and uneven trails
- Elevation Change: Up to 3000 ft/day
- Hiking: Very difficult, off-trail hiking on rugged, technical terrain
- Canyoneering: Very difficult, sustained, climbing and scrambling using hands and feet. A rope may be used for handlines, belays, rappels and lowering packs. May require advanced canyoneering techniques including guided rappels, multi-pitch rappels, complex ropework difficult pothole escapes, and advanced problem-solving and anchor building.
- Distances: Hike up to 14 miles
- Surfaces: Extremely rugged, exposed terrain with steep ascents/descents and uneven trails
- Elevation Change: Up to 4000 ft/day
- Expect to be around other hikers and travelers most of the time.
- Expect to have some solitude, as much as an hour at a time without seeing other groups.
- Expect several hours of solitude at a time.
- Expect to see no more than one or two groups on your trip.
- Expect to see no other hikers or travelers on your trip.
- Experienced and professional guides
- Trail snacks and refreshments
- Federal land permit fees
- Safety equipment, including a team first-aid kit and satellite messenger
- A commitment to make the tour as exciting, challenging, and informative as you’d like
- Travel insurance
- Transportation to trailhead
- Gratuity for your guide
What to bring
- Layered clothing
- Comfortable, sturdy footwear
- Sun protection
- Small backpack
- Water bottles or bladder
- Headlamp or flashlight
A full packing list will be sent upon booking.
Discover the Desert
Let our guides take you on an unforgettable hiking adventure through pristine and dramatic landscapes. We offer hiking routes over a span of 6 million acres, which include Dirty Devil and Robbers Roost Wilderness, San Rafael Swell, Henry Mountains, Goblin Valley, and Capitol Reef National Park. You’ll be introduced to secret locations where you can enjoy solitude at its best.
Venture through canyons or over rolling slickrock domes to visit Ancestral Puebloan rock art, slot canyons, wildflowers, natural arches and hanging gardens. Whichever route you choose, you can count on a once-in-a-lifetime view while enjoying the provided lunch.
Get in the Wild has dozens of hiking routes to accommodate your experience and ability as well as your interests. Explore America’s distinctive and untouched wilderness with a knowledgeable guide.
We begin our hike with a warm welcome from your guide who will check everyone’s provisions for the day before driving to the trailhead.
With over six million acres of spectacular and awe-inspiring canyon country to explore, we have dozens of hiking options to choose from. Options include a magnificent hike through a red rock canyon system as breathtaking as the Grand Canyon. The primary difference of this canyon is that very few people know of its existence. This translates into a true wilderness journey in a canyon where solitude is actually protected, and where we rarely encounter other people.
Other unique options include a trek through an otherworldly, Mars-like landscape that makes visitors feel like they are visiting another planet. This unique and seldom-visited area is characterized by a spectacular labyrinth of colorful valleys, canyons, mesas and buttes offering intrepid hikers an incredible once in a lifetime experience.
After deciding on our hiking tour for the day, we will caravan by vehicle to the trailhead. Once there, your guide will provide you with an overview of the areas fascinating geography, geology and natural history. We’ll discuss the day’s itinerary and have a short safety discussion before setting out on our day’s adventure.
Other Important Information
We offer multiple tours in the Utah wilderness. See where we guide!
If you’ve decided to stay a little longer, take a look at our list of Utah recommendations(opens in a new tab), including the nearest towns with the best accommodation and restaurants. If you have any further questions, please get in touch with us(opens in a new tab)!
Frequently Asked Questions
No. This particular adventure is designed for beginners. We’ll teach you the ropes at the beginning, and then let you put into practice all your new skills.
Wear clothes you can move in and don’t mind if they get “worn-in” by the canyons. Make sure to bring enough layers in case of cool temperatures. For your feet, comfortable medium-weight hiking shoes or boots work best. You definitely need closed-toed shoes (no Chacos!) that you’ve worn before and broken in well.
Entrance fees and snacks are included in the price.
We are happy to include healthy, nutritious and delicious snacks on all of our outings. We typically bring a nut mix and dried fruit along with us. We welcome you to bring some snacks of your own if you’ve got something specific you’d like.
Please note: we are happy to accommodate vegetarian, vegan, kosher, and gluten-free diets—just get in touch with us, and we’ll chat about your needs!
There is usually little to no signal where we tour. It’s the perfect time to unplug and truly enjoy nature! If you need to stay connected for a specific reason, please get in touch with us, and we’ll work together to get it sorted.
Have more questions? Head to our FAQ page to read more!
What an AMAZING experience! We had never done this before but Chris was so professional and reassuring. The scenery was beautiful and the decent into the canyon was something we’ll never forget. Thanks Chris for a big checkmark on our bucket list!!!
We had a wonderful day with Chris and Melissa. A part of their tour requirements is “solitude”, meaning we saw no one else on our hike. Doing yoga on those strong massive rocks with an expansive view of the desert and mountains in the distance was memorable. Petroglyphs were a bonus. They are a geologist/botanist combo which opened up easy and interesting conversations. Highly recommended.